Sunday, November 21, 2010

Side By Side

I love living life side by side with people. Seeing the good, the bad, and the ugly. But it isn't always easy. Recently I was reminded of while this aspect of my life is great, it isn't always simple.  We had some wonderful highs at the end of this week.  My roommate turned 26. A couple of my friends had their first child, a precious boy. A friend's foster baby's mom came to church for the second time.

But it was a week of the lowest lows.  The new baby had to go into the NICU. Another friend is watching her sister succumb to cancer that she has been fighting for many years.  And my heart hurts.  When you celebrate and rejoice in the highs, you also hurt and weep in the lows.

And I see how God has made us to have this community.  I know as I pray for my friend watching her sister die, that she would be doing the same for me.  I know as I go up to the hospital to visit my friends, even knowing I won't meet their precious baby boy, that they would do the same for me.  That when one of us hurts, we all hurt. But when one of us rejoices, we all rejoice.

People have asked me if I have thought about moving closer to my family. And the answer is yes, I have thought about it.  But when it comes down to it, I can't imagine embarking on this new journey without this community. Without these people to call when I want to pull my hair out. When I am exhausted because the baby is sick. When I don't know why the baby is doing this or that.

I had no idea when God brought me here 5 years ago that I would make such amazing friends. That my life would be so full. Of happiness. Of heart ache. Of Fear. Of Joy. But it is worth it. As I live in community with these friends. Side by Side.

No comments: